Monday, November 12, 2012

The Debate Continues


We are currently using three different "methods" of teaching the basics to our students, but the one causing the most debate is handwriting. One says DON'T use dotted names. One says DON'T use pencils (instead use crayons to write with). One says teach ONLY capital letters (no lower case). One says DON'T use lined paper. The confusion goes on and on. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I've always used dotted names, and have always had success with that method. I basically switch strategies if the child is having difficulty with one method, because, as a teacher, I know that ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL. One method will never suit all the children. And all children do not learn the same way. Yet I'm still getting a lot of flack from the "experts" when they see me doing Y when I'm supposed to be using X. You get the drift.

I'd love to hear from other teachers what they use and find successful.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I use the dots as well, but for the kids who have a lot of trouble, I use a yellow marker and have them trace "in" it... I agree, one method is never for all! Love u!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Amy. I've even used colored paper for the children I suspect of having Irlen's Syndrome, even though the school district won't test them until they reach first grade.

      Delete